But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What a Wednesday and Medical Vocabulary 101

Well, I'm so behind on posting pics so hopefully I can get the baby dedication ones up tomorrow. We have had a week of learning! We had our consultation on Monday with Cranial Tech and as I figured they diagnosed Positional Plagiocephaly (flat head syndrome) and are recommending treatment. Chloe has 9 cm asymmetry on the sides of her head and the normal range is 2-3 cm. There were other measurements too, bulging forehead, ears asymmetrical, and eye sockets uneven. She also has Torticullis which is a fancy word for her neck muscles being tight on one side(which is probably what led to the flat spot in the first place).

So, she is getting casted on Monday and will get her band (helmet) on November 2. The good thing is that because we are treating this early, she will probably only have to wear the band for 4-6 weeks and there is a good chance of 100% correction. A short version of how the band works is that it applies pressure to the non flat side of her head while leaving the flat side with more room to grow. We'll go once a week for adjustments after the initial fitting. She will wear the band 23 of 24 hours a day, they allow one hour for bathing and cleaning the band. We are praying she adjusts well - especially to sleeping with it - now that she finally sleeps through most nights. I'm already thinking about how to decorate it and a friend from church offerred to paint it since I am not too artistic - yeah!! I had a really fun day talking to our insurance company and doctors' offices. I have all sort of thought about insurance at the moment but don't feel like typing my whole rant right now. Let's just say it's a mess!

In other Chloe medical news, we have our consultation with the plastic surgeon on November 12. I am praying we don't need surgery on the birthmark - there is only so much a mother can watch her child go through. Just looking at the website for the pediatric plastic surgeon makes me realize that we are so lucky to have a healthy child with only some correctable cosmetic problems right now. There are pictures on the site of some horrible deformations. God's way again of helping me to be grateful amidst all of this.

1 comment:

Tootle Family said...

I must be completely blind b/c she is seriously such a beautiful baby! I don't see any of the things the doctor mentioned. She is such a precious child of God. Andrea, you're amazing how you're handling all of this. Can't wait to "physically" meet you on Friday!! Jessica