I get lots of questions about Chloe's birthmark. Most of them are along the lines of, "wouldn't it just go away in time?" Well, anyone that knows me very well knows that I would not put my child through surgery for something that would go away in time. I'm adding a link so you can read more about port-wine stains. They can actually get bigger and darker in time and can develop bumps or cysts. I didn't know any of this before we had Chloe - even my pediatrician wasn't too clear on whether it was a PWS or not. So, thankfully our smart doctor sent us to a plastic surgeon who specializes in birthmarks - who knew there was such a specialty? Anyway, the rest is history but I just wanted all of my readers to know that Chris and I aren't having this removed for vain reasons. Insurance covers these procedures because they are not considered cosmetic. They are considered deformations. Here's the link check it out when you have time :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_wine_stain FYI - I also asked the dr if we are likely to have another child with a PWS and he said nope - it's totally random. He also added that if you were going to have somthing - this is what you want - because it's so easy to treat.
Friday, April 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment