But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

Thursday, September 4, 2008

First and Hopefully Last Trip to the ER

We had an eventful Labor Day weekend complete with a trip to the ER! After the first week of school, Chris and I were SO looking forward to doing nothing and just relaxing with Chloe over the weekend. We're both still in Chloe withdrawal and missing all of our time together over the summer. So, we had a nice day Saturday, put Chloe to bed about 7 - nothing out of the ordinary. Chloe woke up about 10:45 crying. MY first thought, was uugh - here we go again. I was planning to let her cry about 5 minutes but after about a minute, her cry sounded different. I went in to check on her and she was making the most horrible sound. I don't know how to describe it but she was gasping for air and making a throaty sound. I calmed her down and she was still wheezing horribly and breathing really shallowly. Chris called our pediatrician and they told us to go to the ER - obviously. I don't know why we thought they could help on the phone but you don't really think straight in a situation like this. So, we were off to Medical City - interestingly they suggested we go there instead of Children's. SO, they gave Chloe a steroid shot, said she had croup and that was about it. She was breathing better in like 5 minutes - it's amazing how those steroids work. So, we were back home about 2 am. Chloe went right to sleep and slept all the way until 7 - so much for a relaxing weekend! But, amazingly she has had nothing more than a minor cough and a runny nose since then. I guess steroids really are strong.

1 comment:

The Boyds said...

Andrea,
I feel your pain with the croup! The people at Medical City know us by name. Luke has had it about 6 times, all ER visits. Glad she is feeling better!