But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Dilemma......any advice?

So, my dilemma now is whether or not to move Chloe into a big girl bed before the baby comes. My original plan was to keep her in the crib for a while longer because I'm guessing that the baby will sleep in our room in the cradle for a while (Chloe was in our room for 4-5 months). Then, I would move her into a big girl bed next fall - when she's a little over 2. But, when we told our pediatrician hat we were pregnant again - she suggested that we move Chloe about 3 months before the baby comes so she won't see the baby as taking her crib. Problem is, that will be right when we are moving and I feel like that is too many changes for her and Chloe is not a great sleeper as it is and ANY change to her routine upsets her sleeping for a while. So, I need some Mom advice. I've read a lot and heard good arguments on both sides. All of you who have been through this before - let me know your thoughts.
Adding to this dilemma is that we are having the whole house painted before we move in and now that we will have 4 bedrooms - I'm going to separate the girls rather than putting them together. So, I don't know how to paint b/c I don't know if Chloe is staying in the crib with her bedding and we're getting a new crib and bedding for the baby or if we will put the crib and baby furniture in the baby's room (with the bedding) and get Chloe new big girl furniture (with new bedding) for her room. Either way, we have to get some new (or gently used) furniture.
I know - this is sort of a silly problem but it's really stressing me out - or maybe I'm fixating on this detail b/c there are too many other things to worry about right now :).
Anyway, let me know your ideas/experience.

3 comments:

All Things Family said...

Hey, it's so funny that you're having this dilema, because I had it earlier this week! Zaden will be 17 months when the new baby comes, and isn't a great sleeper either, and I plan on them sharing a room...new baby will room in with us for at least 10 weeks, maybe longer...but that still puts Zaden younger than 2, which in my mind is younger than I want having the ability to get out of his bed at his own leisure! So..what I have decided to do is this...I'm going to look for a convertible crib...his current one is not, it's mine from when I was little. What I was thinking of doing, is about 2-3 months before the new baby comes, getting the new crib, and switching Zaden to it. That way, he has no issues with the baby being in "his crib" and his new crib can become his big boy bed when he's ready. I've looked at babies r us at new ones, and they seem to range from 199-300 ish, which I didn't think was that bad considering it can be a full size bed depending on the kind you get. I'm trying to decide if we want to get a full size convertible crib or one that only converts to a toddler bed...we had only planned on upgrading him to a twin bed...so the full size seems a bit much...but toddler seems like a quick fix and waste of money....

Now, on the bedding...what you might think about doing...is just use sheets if you swap her to a different crib, and either go ahead and pick what her new bedding will be and paint accordingly. Zaden's room is yellow, and will stay yellow even if new baby is a girl..and his bedding is blue, green and yellow...if he upgrades I'll just find something with yellow in it to make it work....

Hope that helps :) That's the solution I came to...and I do think moving her to a big girl bed right when you move houses might be overdoing it since the new house alone will likely disrupt her schedule...he did ok when we moved in November, but is younger then Chloe...

email me thru FB if you have anymore quesitons!

Anonymous said...

My kids never had issues with new beds. When Emerson moved out of the crib for Nola, we just had a set of twin matresses on the floor. This worked out good ~ less distance to the floor if he fell and we didn't have to spend alot of money buying both matress and a bed. He only fell out of bed once. My kids were not wanderers. When they woke in the night or morning they either called for me or came straight to my room (they still come to my room first in the morning!). Personally I wouldn't want to spend money on another crib. I think if you hype up the big girl bed and make it special she just might surprise you ~ never under estimate those little ones!
~Stacy

Anonymous said...

yes time for big girl bed because I will join her and make sure she is just fine